Friday, May 11, 2012

You Can’t Live Without Me!


“They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved”   
 Acts -47


Different versions of the Bible and even different publishers will often insert heading titles to certain sections of scripture.
The passage above is titled “The Fellowship of the Believers” in the version I am using. When you read this passage and study other supporting scripture I think it will be evident that it is an appropriate title.
Yet we all know some who will claim Jesus as Lord and yet live, not in fellowship, but in isolation from fellow believers.
Their claim is that they have been hurt in the past (me too and probably you as well), that other believers are all hypocrites (guilty there too sometimes – how about you?), or some other reason which is justifiable to them but contrary to the sound teaching of scripture.
I need you and you need me.
As a matter of fact, we need each other in our (how shall I put this delicately?) less than perfect state.
God uses you to help me grow.
                          And sometimes, saint that I am, He uses me to help you grow.             
I know this is not theologically deep truth but it is truth we need to remind ourselves of every time we ask God to help us in living a disciplined life.  Part of the discipline you and I need in our lives is how to relate to one another as the Body of Christ.
Remember this scripture:
“By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”    
    John 13:35
Do you do that in fellowship or in isolation?
 You discipline your life by living with God’s people – not isolating yourself from them.

No comments: