Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Disciplined, Not Disqualified!

 “I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.”
I Corinthians (NLT)


Yesterday we said that if you want to develop a life of love then what you
need to know
is that it is your obedience to Christ that is proof of your love for Christ and not your proclamation.  
Today we will look at this statement:
If you want to develop a life of love then what you
need to do
 is continually develop a life of self-discipline.
Certainly, one of the most successful U.S. Olympic athletes is the swimmer Michael Phelps.
He has won 14 gold medals, more than any other Olympic athlete.
Today he announced that after this summer’s Olympics in London, he is retiring.
It is worth noting that his daily training regimen includes at least six hours per day in the pool, the equivalent of swimming eight miles each day. He trains six days a week bringing a weekly tally of some 50 miles swam each and every week.
As we have noted, his reward is more gold than any other athlete in modern Olympic history.
He has learned well the lesson of disciplining his body and training it to do what it should.  
Maybe there is a lesson for each of us.
Our reward, as we are told, is an incorruptible crown that will not fade away.
Considering that the value to us is an eternal one, how much more so should we develop that life of self-discipline?
And that eternal value benefits others as well – whomever the Lord should choose to minister to through us. 
I discipline my life and in so doing, Christ’s love is made real to me and to others. 
Disciplined and not disqualified!

No comments: