Tuesday, May 1, 2012

How Many Races Will a Lukewarm Runner Win?

 “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?
Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”
I Corinthians 9:24-27


Do you run to win?
Do you set out to do your very best or is second best good enough?
Paul doesn’t tell us to run in the hopes of at least, perhaps, maybe achieving an Honorable Mention.
We are encouraged to run in such a way as to win the prize.
How does an athlete do that?
The next sentence answers the question for us – it is done by strict training.
I can see a correlation between the verses above and the words of Jesus in Revelation 3:15-16
I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.  
I would picture the runner who is determined to win the prize as “hot”.
The person, who cares less and does not even show interest in the prize, is “cold”.
For them, it is not even a race, it is a fun run.
Who is lukewarm then?
That would be the runner who is in it halfheartedly.
Maybe they entered out of obligation or at the insistence of family or friend but there heart is just not in the race.
Maybe they saw and heard the cheering crowds in the stands and got into the race for the applause and approval of man and had never taken the time for strict training.
The lukewarm runner is easily dissuaded.
The pace of the race becomes too brisk.
The pain and endurance required to faithfully complete the
race is no longer popular or fun.  
The lukewarm runner never really entered to win.
They certainly would not adhere to strict training or the self-discipline the training demand.
Are you running the race hot, cold or lukewarm?
Are you in it to win it?
“…run in such a way as to get the prize…”

No comments: