Thursday, May 3, 2012

Doing What Servants Do!

 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Hebrews 13:1-3


“…let us throw off…
“…let us run with perseverance…”
“…fixing our eyes on Jesus…”
“Consider Him…”
“…so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”
Have you ever been guilty of thinking of the Christian life as passive?
Do you know what I mean?
Maybe you’ve said to yourself:
“I am saved so I now I get to coast until heaven!”
As I read the passage above I am struck by the fact that it is a life filled
with action and purpose.
No ho-hum. 
No boredom.
No sedentary life.
You and I are in a race and it cannot be completed lying on the couch!
We are to be servants.
What do servants do? They serve!
Luke 17:7-10
 “Suppose one of you has a servant plowing or looking after the sheep.
Will he say to the servant when he comes in from the field,
‘Come along now and sit down to eat’?
 Won’t he rather say, ‘Prepare my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink’? 
Will he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do?  
So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say,
 ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.’”
One way we serve is by staying in the race! 
Don’t give up – persevere!

No comments: