Monday, May 14, 2012

Well, We’ve Had a Good Run

“There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:”
Ecclesiastes 3:1

Have you been ministered to through this blog?
I do hope you have.
This is just the 207th entry of the “Choose the River” blog.
That means there are many, many blog writers who have been at it a lot longer than me.
Does it sound like I am quitting?
I am not.
But I think it is important for you to know that, while I enjoy writing this each day Monday through Friday, it is more important that I am be obedient to what God requires of me.  If there comes a point where God asks me to set this writing aside, whether for a season or for good, I want to be able to do that. Not because I want to disappoint anyone but because I want you to understand (and I need to understand it as well) that obedience to God and being able to set aside something when God asks it of you is what matters most.
We can easily let those things God has asked of us become so routine
and legalistic that sooner or later the blessing becomes an idol.
God blessed Abraham and Sarah with a son.
God then asked Abraham to offer his son Isaac on an altar.
How easy it would have been to argue with God.
It might have gone something like this:
“But God, you’re the one who blessed us with our son and now
you want to take him back.
Why are you requiring this of me?
I thought my descendants would be as numerous as the sands of the sea?”        
As you know, this was not what Abraham did.
Through His obedience Abraham previewed the ultimate sacrifice our heavenly Father would make generations later through the Patriarchs’ descendents by offering His own Son as the sacrificial Lamb of God.
Perhaps your future holds a blessing from God that He will later
ask you to put on the altar.
Are you ready to do that?
When that day comes, allow the blessing of God in your life
to become a living sacrifice  and not an idol!
You’ll find out – you cannot out give God!

No comments: