Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Growing Seeds

 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love…”
Galatians 5:22

Love is a fruit of the Holy Spirit.
It is distinct from a Gift of the Holy Spirit
Ask any farmer if he has gone out to his fields or orchards and found fruit in a gift box requiring only that he unwrap it and sell it to the market.
After he is done looking long and hard at you for asking dumb questions – he may tell you about all of his labors in growing the fruit you enjoy.
I am not a farmer.
I seem to have a green thumb only when it comes to weeds.
The flowers and shrubs at my home require daily effort and lots of ‘Miracle Grow’.
Sadly, some of them are still on life support.
In my life and yours, love doesn’t just happen.
Just as the farmer tends to the seed if he wants a crop, love must be nurtured, watered, fertilized and pruned.
 The job doesn’t end when the seed is planted.
Are you more in love with God and people today than you were a day, a week, a month or a year ago?
You see if love is a fruit of the Holy Spirit and I claim, through salvation, to have the Spirit of God in me then it is a completely legitimate question to ask myself.
Submit to the nurturing, watering, fertilizing and pruning,
but above all else – remain in the vine!
After all; the job doesn’t end when the seed is planted!

No comments: