Thursday, June 2, 2016

Passion?


“Peter replied, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.”

“Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.”

But Peter declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the other disciples said the same.”

Matthew 26:33-35





Will you do for God only those things you are really passionate about?

I hope not because sooner or later obedience requires doing things we just may not like, let alone feel passionate about.

We are all called to serve and sometimes serving just isn’t pleasant.

Peter was passionate in his willingness to never deny the Lord, yet how quickly that passion was replaced by denial.

Was his passion real?

Sure!

It was real enough to convince the others to make the same claim he did.

But time and testings have a way of diluting our passions.

Don’t allow passion to be mistaken for obedience.

 We were told on Sunday:

“If I only do what I am most passionate about it is because I am selfish. People motivated by passion only do what they like to do. The church has been told to only do what you are passionate about, but most of us are not passionate about dying to self!”

That is certainly food for thought for every one of us.

Our culture has influenced the church more than we will admit and not the other way around.

We are called to a life of obedience.

Passion isn’t necessarily wrong but it is not to be our motivation.

You can be certain that our obedience will be tested by moments where we are anything but passionate.

How will you respond?


No comments: