Monday, June 27, 2016

Oh, How We All Need His Grace!


“Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people,

but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.”

Leviticus 19:18

 


Sometimes I think we read verses like the one above and cringe.

We would rather have the Ten Commandments because we find solace in the fact that we have not murdered anyone.

And yet it is as clear as it is difficult...do not seek revenge and do not bear a grudge.

Something we all have been guilty of!

But whether we consider the ‘big’ sins or even the ‘little’ sins

(We size up sin in our own minds yet all sin misses the mark)

We still come up short.

“For all have sinned....”

That includes you and me.

My sin (no matter how small we consider it to be) puts me in the same predicament as the murderer.

My pride hates statements like that.

I like to think I am better than that person.

I don’t deserve the same punishment or at least not as long a punishment.

And yet the verse continues:

For all have sinned and come short...”

That’s right....your sin causes you to come short of the glory of God.

You come short of all He created you to be.

So, Lord help us to not look down on the ‘big’ sinners.

Because when we do we just might find we are looking into a mirror.

Thank you for your grace, thank you for your forgiveness, thank you for paying the price for my grudges held or the times I have sought revenge – even if only in my thoughts!

Oh how we all need His grace...

No comments: