Sunday, June 30, 2013

I’ll Love Them After I Get Even!

But to you who are listening I say:
 Love your enemies,
do good to those who hate you,
bless those who curse you,
pray for those who mistreat you
Luke 6:27-28
 
What do you do when somebody hurts you?
Come on, get real.
It sure sounds good to say – “Well, I forgive them of course!”
But is that always or really our first response?
Or do we determine we will get our pound of flesh?
Usually the latter, not the former!
Maybe Jesus said “But to you who are listening…” as the start of todays’ verse because He knew how easy it is to tune out this particular message.
We sometimes find it difficult just to love our friends and here He is commanding us (those who are listening anyway) to love our enemies.   
We ask: “Can’t I love them after I get even?”
Yes, that would be so much easier wouldn’t it?
But of course we all know the answer is “No!”
I don’t know about you but I simply cannot love my enemies and pray for those who have hurt me apart from the Holy Spirit working in me.
He puts me in remembrance of the truth that I was forgiven by Christ
even when I was still in my sin.
He forgave me and He requires me to forgive those who have offended me.
It is never a “Do as I say, not as I do” lesson from God.
He has walked where He asks us to walk.
He showed (and continues to show) us the way.
Do you need to forgive someone?
Look to Jesus as your model.
Father, forgive them…”
 
 

No comments: