Tuesday, July 2, 2013

There’s One Teeny Thing I Need Before I Can Forgive You!

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged.
Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned.
Forgive, and you will be forgiven
Luke 6:37

 
 
This week is my wife’s birthday.
How happy do you suppose she would be if I gave her a gift card to her favorite restaurant?
Before you answer, what if I attached some conditions to the gift?
Suppose I told her she could only use it if she included me and only if she ordered from the appetizer menu only so that we could stretch the use to more than one visit?
Suppose my schedule was so busy that it severely limited her options to redeem it.
Do you think the value of my ‘gift’ would be diminished?
Sure it would.
I gave it to her with all kinds of strings attached.
That’s what often happens with forgiveness too.
We extend it to someone who has offended us but we add caveats.
I’ll forgive you if…
I’ll forgive you when…
I’ll forgive you but…
Our conditions move it from forgiveness, as taught in the Bible, to negotiating a settlement.
Obviously they are not the same.
Forgiveness is not conditional!
We like to sound ‘spiritual’ and ‘mature’ with the “I forgive you” part but reveal our carnality and immaturity by adding conditions.
Again, looking to Jesus – He said “Father forgive them for they know not what they do.”
He added no conditions to His request to the Father.   
He expressed a recognition of what made them do what they did but He did not seek any ill will or judgment on them for their actions toward Him.
 He did not say: “Father forgive them if they repent!”
He did not say: “Father forgive them when they see the error of their ways!”
He did not say: “Father forgive them but hold their children accountable!”
There will be little time passing between your reading of this blog and the opportunity to forgive someone.
That’s just ‘life’.
When you do, will you extend forgiveness without conditions or will you hold on to unforgiveness until you determine the offending party has “Paid in Full”?
Remember though, Jesus ‘paid in full’ the debt of your sin on the cross long before you ever even acknowledged it!
Forgive as you have been forgiven!

No comments: