Tuesday, November 3, 2015

A Tale of Two “I’s”

“Once you were alienated from God and were enemies
in your minds because of your evil behavior.”
Colossians 1:21
 
 
I am sure you have heard that old expression
“Don’t put the cart before the horse.”
Yet, that is precisely what we try to do when we convince ourselves that transformation in our lives comes through exerting our will to change our behavior and yet do nothing to renew our minds.
A renewed mind, like the horse, moves our behavior (the cart) to the desired destination.
That is why Paul wrote “…but be transformed by the renewing of your minds…”
He did not write “…but be transformed by changing your behavior…”
Make no mistake, it is God’s desire that we become transformed.
We are to look more and more like the image of His Son as we grow and mature in the faith.
But no matter how hard I try to exert my own strength in changing my behavior apart from a renewed mind it just won’t happen.
That reintroduces the capital “I” as in “I did it!”
Religion loves the capital “I” but relationship is particularly fond of the “I” as it is revealed in Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
Let the renewed mind complete its work in you, moving you from the proud “I” to the submitted “I” of Galatians 2:20

No comments: