Friday, August 15, 2014

What are you pursuing?

Today's blog post is contributed by Denise Friedman:



As I was preparing to write the blog entry for this morning, I sat with no ideas, none.   I had my music on and I asked God what He wanted to share this morning.  The very next song to come on was Relentless Pursuit, by Kim Walker-Smith.  This made so much sense to me, since this week our church is spending a week searching God and drawing near to Him:

It's a relentless pursuit, relentless pursuit
I will not stop chasing after you
It's a relentless pursuit, a passion in pursuit
I will not stop chasing after you

I sensed the word relentless was the word we needed to focus on.  The Merriam-Webster definition of relentless is to continue without becoming weaker, to remain determined. 

Throughout my walk, there have been periods of time where I have been in relentless pursuit of God.  Often those times require sacrifice.  This could be a sacrifice of time, as I clear my calendar to spend time with God, talents, as I offer myself to be His hands and feet, or treasure, as I sow into His Kingdom. 

Initially, it was difficult to sacrifice these items, but I knew I wanted more of Him.  Yet, as I relentlessly pursued Him, I realized the sacrifice was not anywhere near as great as the reward of being in His presence.  He blesses me with his perfect peace.

There have also been times where my pursuit of Jesus is, quite frankly, lazy.  I try to squeeze time in around other things going on in my life.  During these periods of time, I often find myself frustrated, anxious and anything but peaceful.  The job, promotion, material items, or relationships that I seek instead of searching for God do not provide a reward that even begins to compare with Him.

Today, the Holy Spirit gently reminded me, I need to be in relentless pursuit of Him at all times. Will you join me today in a relentless pursuit of the King of Kings? Let’s chase after Him, continuing without become weaker, remaining determined to be with God!

No comments: