Friday, August 8, 2014

Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus



Note: If you are a faithful reader of this blog you will note that, besides my own contributions, I also regularly post blog contributions by David Trotta and Denise Friedman. Neither one has ever had direction from me as to specific content in the posts they write so if it seems like a repetition I would encourage you to receive that as emphasis of a particular topic from the Holy Spirit. It is likely something that bares repeating and that we need to hear more than once. Be encouraged and strengthened as you read today's entry.
                                                                    - Stephen Brisson



Today's blog is contributed by David Trotta:

My almost 2 year old grandson is at that age where he is very attached to his mother.  If his mother leaves his sight, he immediately looks for her, and if he can’t quickly find her, he will begin to cry.  Then, once his eyes spot mom, everything is ok again.  He can go back to playing and having fun because, in his mind, his protector and the provider of all his needs is nearby.  He feels safe and secure.  When he sees his mom, everything is right with the world at that moment.

I have been reminded a lot lately, especially during stressful and difficult times, to keep my inner eyes fixed on Jesus.  And when I do, I know everything will be ok.  A peace comes over me because I know that no matter what I am facing, God is in control and He has plans to prosper me, not to harm me, plans to give me hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11).

God is always there.  He promises never to leave or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5).  My daughter is a great mom and always keeping an eye on my grandson, but he needed to see His mom to be reassured.

We need to constantly look upon Jesus to give us strength, confidence, and reassurance to walk the path He set before us.

Will you join me in asking the Lord to take us into a deeper season of our life where our inner eyes (the thoughts and affections of our heart) are constantly looking to Him?

Looking to Jesus takes our eyes off our circumstances and puts them squarely on the One who is able to keep us from stumbling.  Looking to Jesus reminds us that if He is for us, who can be against us?  Looking to Jesus reminds us the He is in control and immediately sets our lives back on course.

The lyrics to the old hymn “Turn your eyes upon Jesus” sums it up beautifully…

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
  In the light of His glory and grace.

No comments: