Thursday, August 7, 2014

Put On Your Spiritual Blinders

Todays blog entry is contributed by David Trotta:
 
 



If you’ve ever seen horses on a racetrack or out in public, you may have noticed a covering over their eyes called “blinders.” Blinders restrict the horse’s peripheral vision, causing the horse to focus on what is in front of him.  Based on some research I did, it appears many racehorse trainers believe blinders encourage the horse to pay attention to the race rather than other distractions, such as crowds. Blinders are also commonly seen on driving horses, to keep them from being distracted or spooked, especially on crowded city streets.

I was recently reminded of a couple occasions where I witnessed a horse pulling a carriage and noticed the horse had blinders on.  I then thought “hmmm, I could use a pair of blinders for my spiritual eyes.”

I don’t know about you, but I can be easily distracted by the things around me, and many of those distractions are not God’s best for me.  Distractions can come in many different forms.  They can be very subtle, and some may even look good on the outside, but if we don’t make a conscience effort to keep our eyes looking forward on the path God has set before us, we will most likely wander off the path, possibly into harm or danger.

Proverbs 4:25-27 says “Let your eyes look straight ahead; fix your gaze directly before you. Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways. Do not turn to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil.”

As we run the race marked out for us, will you join me in putting on our spiritual blinders to ensure our eyes stay fixed on Jesus?

No comments: