Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Remember the Promises

 “Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom,
    and your dominion endures through all generations.
The Lord is trustworthy in all he promises
    and faithful in all he does.”
Psalm 135:14
 
 
Often the Holy Spirit can speak so clearly and repeatedly to us on what you might be inclined to consider a pretty ordinary day.
I have a day off today and we were expecting new mattresses and box springs to be delivered.
Not wanting to embarrass ourselves by all the dust bunnies under the bed I had my marching orders when my wife left to take her mom to a doctor’s appointment –
“remove the ‘stuff’ under the beds and vacuum up the dust!”
When I lifted off the old mattress and box spring from our bed one of the items underneath was one of those low profile under-the-bed storage totes.
I was going to move it out of the way when I felt the Holy Spirit say: “Look inside.”
When I did I discovered it was actually filled completely with old photos.
Curios now I grabbed (randomly I thought) one of the old drugstore envelopes to see what pictures were inside.
When I did the very first several photos I pulled out were of a rainbow we had apparently photographed some time ago.
I felt the Holy Spirit whisper to me “Remember the promises!”
I have to be honest and say I just kept on working and now moved to my daughters room.
As I lifted off her mattress and box spring I discovered a magazine my mother-in-law used to subscribe to called “Reminisce”.
It is filled with photos and stories of people recalling the past.
Hard headed as I can sometimes be – I picked it up, tossed it aside and kept on working.
A short time later as I was checking my e-mail there was a message from the Pastor which – in part – asked me, along with others, to bullet point our churches history from the point of a receiving a significant prophetic word through the present.
A look back at the road God has brought us on.
At last I cried ‘Uncle!” or perhaps more appropriately – “Father!”
It is a good thing to look back when what we are looking back at is the promises and provisions of a loving heavenly Father.
We look back and discover His hand at work in our lives when – at the time – we may have missed it.
The path faith brings us down is often clearer in hindsight.
Have you discovered that?
If not, maybe it’s’ time for a look back.
You may just see more clearly how the hand of God has been leading you all along!
It may help you to remember the promises He has made concerning you!

No comments: