Monday, August 4, 2014

How do you measure success?

Today's blog entry is contributed by Denise Friedman:

The Lord revealed something to me recently as I was getting ready for work.  Within thirty minutes of getting up, I checked my bank account, credit card balance, credit score and hopped on the bathroom scale.  Wow, that is a LOT of measuring within a very short period of time (yet another measurement!)  So much of what we use to determine success or failure is based on numeric measurements and I felt the Holy Spirit speak to me that these measurements only matter here on earth.


The Lord asked me to reconsider my measuring stick.  Let’s take a look at what scripture would suggest we use to measure in 2 Peter 5-8:

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self control; and to self control, perseverance, and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.  For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Reread that scripture.  Nowhere does it mention the size of your bank account, your credit score, or your weight as measures of success in the Kingdom.  Instead, reread the measures of faith mentioned.  The reward of these characteristics – being effective and productive in my knowledge of my Lord Jesus Christ- is a goal worthy of achieving! 

If you measure yourself according to 2 Peter 5-8, would you find you are seeing an increased measure of these attributes in your life each day?  I am confident several of us would be able to define ourselves as successful when we change our bar of comparison.  We can be thankful that God uses a different measuring stick than many here on earth do!

If you see an area that you want to see an increased measure in your walk, take time today and ask God to pour out over you.  He is waiting to bless you.   His is the measurement that truly matters!

No comments: