Friday, May 30, 2014

“Sorry I Missed You”


Today's blog has been contributed by David Trotta:
 
Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears and listens to and heeds My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will eat with him, and he [will eat] with Me. (Revelation 3:20)

Have you ever missed an important package because you didn’t hear the doorbell or knock at the door by the mail courier only to find a note attached to your door saying “sorry we missed you?”  Some packages contain valuable contents and can’t just be dropped off at your doorstep or in your mailbox.  You have to sign on the dotted line showing proof that you did indeed receive the package.

This has happened to me before, so now when I am expecting an important package, I try to stay close to home and listen more intently for the doorbell or knock at the door.  I even find myself constantly looking out the window for the delivery truck to pull up so I can greet the person at the door.

As we have learned this week, God is always speaking.  He is always knocking on the door of our hearts looking to have fellowship with us and tell us “great and unsearchable things” (Jer. 33:3).  But, before we can enjoy His company, we have to listen for His voice and heed it by opening the door.

Imagine waiting for my package, listening for the knock, hearing it, but then not opening the door.  Sounds pretty silly, but we often do that with God.  We earnestly desire him to speak to us, but we fill our lives with so much clutter, noise, and busyness we often don’t hear him knocking, and when we do, we are too busy, so we don’t open the door, thereby sending Him away with the rationalization we’ll catch Him later.

God has a package he wants to deliver to you and me today.  It is filled with very precious gifts, like encouragement, wisdom, guidance, insight, and truth.  Don’t force God to leave a “sorry I missed you” note.  Remove the unnecessary distractions from your life, be attentive to His knock, and be sure to open the door.  Better yet, leave the door open for Him so He has constant access.  He will quickly fill your heart with packages from above.

No comments: