Friday, May 16, 2014

God’s Offer of Rest

Today's blog has been contributed by David Trotta:


Imagine I’m digging a hole in the ground.  I’ve been digging for quite some time.  My clothes are soaked with perspiration.  I’m out of breath and my arms are tired.  Then, you come along.  You see my plight, feel bad for me, and offer to give me a rest.  You jump in the hole and take the shovel from my hands and begin digging.

Only, instead of vacating the hole, I keep one hand on the shovel and proceed to help you dig.  Or, better yet, I help you dig while giving you instructions on the most efficient way to use the shovel.  Sounds pretty silly, doesn’t it?  Of course it does.  Any clear thinking person would jump out of the hole as fast as possible and take full advantage of the offer to rest.

Matthew 11:28-30 says “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Rest, easy, light.  Do those words describe your spiritual walk?  If not, maybe you are trying to “dig yourself out of a hole” by constantly trying to do more and work harder to earn God’s love and acceptance.

If that describes how you feel, Jesus might be offering you rest today.  Stop striving for God’s acceptance, and instead, rest in His unearned and unconditional love.  His love and acceptance isn’t based on anything you or I can do.  Jesus did the work for us.  Through His sacrifice on the cross, God said once and for all “I love you,” so lay down your shovel and rest.

“In Him we have redemption (deliverance and salvation) through His blood, the remission (forgiveness) of our offenses (shortcomings and trespasses), in accordance with the riches and the generosity of His gracious favor.” (Ephesians 1:7)

No comments: