Thursday, June 18, 2015

…Whom I Love…

“And a voice from heaven said,
“This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
Matthew 3:17
 
Do you mind if I go backwards today?
No, I am not talking about backsliding.
Rather, I am talking about moving back from Matthew Chapter 4 which we have been looking at, to the last verse of Chapter 3.
It is often noted that the ‘public’ ministry of Jesus began after his baptism in the Jordan River by his cousin, John the Baptist.
I point this out because I want you to particularly note the timing of the Father’s comments concerning His Son.
The Father loved the Son long before the water was turned into wine.
He loved His Son before a single blind eye or deaf ear was healed.
God loved His Son for who He was and not what He did.
God loves you for who you are and not what you do.
Jesus did not ‘earn’ the Father’s love through the miracles He performed.
You and I can never ‘earn’ the Father’s love through multiplied good works.
He loved us long before we returned that love.
I don’t think it is happenstance that this statement of the Father is made when it is made.
Sure, Jesus had lived a sinless life and that includes His life up until this point but I take great encouragement that God was showing us His love for His Son was not predicated on what would take place over the next three years.
He loved His Son long before Jesus hung on the cross and paid the ultimate price for our sins.
He loved you and me, scripture reminds us, while we were yet sinners.
Not after we finished 100 hours of Community (or should I say ‘Kingdom’) service.
Sometimes, when we can easily get caught up in ministry, it is important to remind ourselves of that fact.
Good works should flow out of a life surrendered to God.
But good works will never be the reason God loves you and me.
He loved us long before He knit us together in our mother’s womb.
How many good works did you accomplish in there?
Silly question but one worth considering when we think we can ‘earn’ His love.
Go ahead and remind yourself today of the Fathers’ love!
 
 

No comments: