Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Our God is No Prima Donna!

“Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.”
Matthew 4:1
 
 
“…to be tempted by the devil.”
Surely God could have kept His Son from being tempted by the devil, right?
Of course He could have.
So why didn’t He?
Hebrews 4:15 supplies the answer for us:
“For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin.”
Temptation is not sin.
Jesus was tempted in every way, just as you and I are.
Jesus never surrendered to those temptations.
When I come to God and pour out my heart in prayer I am coming to one who knows what it is to struggle.
He knows what it is to face temptation.
He knows what I am facing.
Our God is no ‘prima donna’.
We can never point an accusing finger at God and say:
“You just don’t know what it is like!”
Because the truth is, He does.
And He put Himself in that position for you and me.
That is the mercy, the compassion of God revealed in a very concrete way.
He is not a “Do as I say, not as I do” God.
Does that strengthen you?
It should reinforce our faith in moments of temptation.
Jesus leads the way for us out of temptation and out of the wilderness we find ourselves in.
 
 
Are you joining us for the next 40 days in reading Matthew 4-7 each day?
 

No comments: