Monday, June 22, 2015

When You are Tempted…

“And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
 
The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God,…”
 
 “If you are the Son of God,…”
 
Matthew 3:17; 4:3, 6
 

 
We always focus on what Jesus said in the exchange recorded in the verses above.
That is a right emphasis and a good thing to do.
But maybe, just maybe, there is also some value and insight to be gained
from looking at what He didn’t say.
What do I mean?
“If Y-O-U are the Son of God…”
Twice the devil challenged Jesus’ divinity.
Those challenges certainly sound personal to me!
But Jesus didn’t take the bait.
He did not defend with an “I am too!” rebuttal.
Rather, He responded with the Truth of the Word.
Lesson learned?
We can engage the enemy on a personal level (where he loves to attack) or we can respond as Jesus did – with the truth.
One response will bring defeat, while the other – His Word – will bring victory!
When you are tempted, do as Jesus did.
 
 
 
 

No comments: