Thursday, January 22, 2015

Without any ‘But’

“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.
Rather, in humility value others above yourselves,”
Philippians 2:3
 
 
 
I love my wife, but….
I love my husband, but…
We are all guilty of those kinds of statements.
We love them but there always seem to be no end to those things we want to change in our spouses, our children, our close friends and others we hold dear.
We can often be guilty of using similar statements when it comes to loving the down-and-out among us.
I’d love to help but…my schedule is just so crazy.
I’d love to help but…those ‘kind of people’ frighten me.
I’d love to help but...isn’t it their fault they are where they are?
I’d love to help but…_________________________(you fill in the blank)
The next time you are tempted to offer one of those excuses (trust me, we all do and there will be a next time) ask the Lord to help you through your moment of weakness and to use you to minister His love to others.
(Now let me be very honest with you at this point in the blog.
Instead of writing the words above “ask the Lord to help you through your moment of weakness and to use you to minister His love to others.” I first started to write these words:
Consider how many excuses the Lord Jesus tried in order to get out of going to the cross.
I felt the Spirit of the Lord lead me to rewrite it because the choice of words – intentionally or not – would attempt to motivate to action out of guilt and not out of love.
So often when we try to change our spouse, our children or other loved ones the motivation is not always that it is good for them as much as whatever we want changed makes it easier on us.
God is interested in us serving others.
It is actually more than a ‘passing interest’ on Gods’ part. It is a command.
But He is also interested in the motivation of our heart in doing so.
Do we only ‘love’ in order to ‘feel good’ about ourselves?
Are we serving only so that others might see and praise us?
Or do we love others because He first loved us?
Do we love through His love in us?
As you look for ways to minister His love and serve others ask God to keep you mindful of these things.
Ask Him to search your heart and the motivations driving you.
Ask Him to be the reason you do what you do.
Let His love shine through without any ‘but’!

No comments: