Monday, January 19, 2015

Empty Church Sunday

“If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.”
I Corinthians 13:2
 


 

Imagine this conversation between a shepherd and one of his sheep.
 

Sheep:  “So Pastor – What if you gave a sermon and nobody came?”

Shepherd:  “Well, depending on the reason it could be a very wonderful thing”

Sheep: “Could you explain what you mean by that?”

Shepherd:  “What I mean is that I would take no offense if the reason for their absence was because they were out loving on people – being the church to a hurting world!”

Sheep:  “But aren’t we told not to forsake assembling together?”

Shepherd:  “Yes, we are: and there certainly should be many opportunities for that. But you can be sure I would never condemn you for not being here if you were ministering to someone whom God had prepared for you.”

Sheep:  “What do you mean – prepared for me?”

Shepherd:  “What I mean is that when you ask God to use you and then open your eyes there is no shortage of opportunities that He will prepare for you to be His hands and feet in the world.

Shepherd: “Now let me ask you a question – Did Jesus ever go in search of people to set free. heal or teach or did they seek Him out?”

Sheep: “Oh, for sure – they sought Him.”

Shepherd: “Why do you think that was?”

Sheep: “I suppose it was because He loved them, He cared about them and they knew it.”

Shepherd:  “I believe as we genuinely love as Jesus loved we too will be a sought after people. But how many people are beating a path to the door of the church right now?”

Sheep: “Not many, I must admit.”

Shepherd: “So do you see now why I would rejoice if you were absent and the reason for your absence was because you were doing the Father’s work?

Sheep: “Yes, I guess I do.”

 

Lord
 Make it so in each of us.
Not that we are looking for excuses to be absent from fellowship but instead are so caught up in the work of the Father that like Jesus we can say
“Didn’t you know I had to be about my Father’s business?
May there be no offense taken by others when our absence is a result of obedience to you.
May ‘Empty Church Sunday’ become a reality as we “Go” and “Do”
In the matchless Name of Jesus
 Amen!
 

No comments: