Tuesday, January 6, 2015

A Most Unusual Prayer Service

“"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you?
Even sinners love those who love them.”
Luke 6:32
 

Imagine this poster hanging on the wall at your church or in this weeks’ bulletin:
 
Come One Come All
Evening Prayer Service
Coming Together to Pray for Those You Hate
and those that Hate You”.
It’s usually hard enough to get people to come out to pray for those they love, how many do you think would attend such a prayer meeting?
Yet, it is a clear command of Jesus:
But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,”
Matthew 5:44
 
Anytime you see Jesus speaking those words – “But I tell you…”, he is usually clarifying misconceptions or misunderstandings people had concerning the intent of the Father’s heart.
Agape love reaches far beyond our typical “Bless me and my three!” prayer efforts.
What a dynamic and demonstrative faith it is that prays for those who persecute, abuse, mistreat and hate you.
Again, we can turn our attention to the author and finisher of our faith for an example of just such a prayer:
“Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.
Luke 23:24
I don’t know about you – but I have a long way to go yet!
I am so grateful for the patience and grace of the Lord working in my life.
He really has called us to that kind of love…supernatural love.
Will I see you at the prayer service?
 

No comments: