Friday, December 2, 2011

Yogurt Cap Memories

“…remember well what the LORD your God did to Pharaoh and to all Egypt.”
Deuteronomy 7:18

Is it ever o.k. to look back on your past?
If so, when is it o.k. and why?
We probably have all heard that old adage that says:
“Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.”
Certainly there must be some value in our past?
There is. Listen to this admonition from God to the Israelites:
“Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them. Remember the day you stood before the LORD your God at Horeb, when he said to me, “Assemble the people before me to hear my words so that they may learn to revere me as long as they live in the land and may teach them to their children.
Deuteronomy 4:9-10
I should recall and remember all of those times when God has delivered me. I should recall and remember all of those times when God has provided for me, when He has forgiven me, when He has healed me, when He has comforted, strengthened and guided me. We are so quick to remember the past when it has been difficult or horrific and too quick to forget when God has been there for us. Certainly the methods God may use in the future may be different from His intervention in our past but God Himself does not change. He is constant in character and nature through our past, in our present and for our future. We can recall those times and teach them to our children and grandchildren to boast of God’s work in our lives.
In our house there is a rather unusual object professionally matted, framed and hanging on our wall. It is a cap from a container of yogurt. It is a long story that I won’t detail here except to say that it is a visual reminder to my wife and I as well as our children of God meeting a very specific need at a crisis moment in our lives. Through it He taught us a valuable lesson which we need to be faithful in remembering at those times of difficulty.
Don’t be afraid to recall the past when it gives glory to God.
He is worth it!

No comments: