Friday, July 17, 2015

The Gift of Today

Today's blog post is contributed by David Trotta.
It carries a similar message as yesterdays.
I value when this happens because I know that David and I do not usually discuss what each is writing so I believe the Lord is emphasizing for each of us something we need to take to heart!


This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. (Psalm 118:24)

Wait!  Does that include the day when my boss called me into my office to tell me there has been a companywide cutback and my job was impacted?  Yes.

Does that include the day my hot water heater broke and flooded my basement?  Yes.

Does that include the day my wife and I got into an argument and said some hurtful things to each other?  Yes.

If you’re like me, some days you just want forget ever happened.  You want to toss them to the scrap heap.

But God doesn’t make mistakes.  There is no random with Him.  Everything He creates is perfect and carries a specific purpose.  That includes each day of our lives.

Don’t measure the success of your day based on the number of failures or challenges you encounter.  None of those things diminish the fact that it’s still a day the Lord has made.

Sure, we can choose to focus on the negative things that occurred throughout our day.  Or, we can choose to have the mindset of Joseph, who when he came face to face with his brothers that sold him into slavery, declared “what you meant for evil, God meant for good.” (Genesis 50:20)

God is not surprised by the things that happen in your life.  He knows exactly how your day is going to play out before you roll out of bed and your feet hit the ground.  And if you trust Him, He will use it all for your good.  He will use the events of the day, good and bad, to mold and shape you into the person He wants you to be.

Will you join me in looking at every day for what it is – a gift from God, regardless of your circumstances?  Then, rejoice and be glad in it.

God gave you the gift of today, so like a child at Christmas, wake up each morning with anticipation and excitement ready to unwrap the day God has given you.


No comments: