Friday, July 3, 2015

In the same way

Today's blog post is contributed by David Trotta:

I remember being in high school and so hoping my teacher graded on a curve.  When it came to school work, I needed all the help I could get.  For me, getting an “A” was about as common as snow in Florida, so the more forgiving the standard of measure used by the teacher, the better chance I had of passing.

Do you find yourself unconsciously “grading” the lifestyle of others?  Do you observe their actions and give them a pass or fail?

When looking at the weaknesses and failures of others, do you judge them harshly or do you look at them through the eyes of unconditional love with a desire to see them gently restored?

It’s an important question, because God will use the same standard of measure when judging us.

Matthew 7:1-2 says “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

I don’t know about you, but I want God to grade on a big curve filled with lots of unconditional love, grace, and mercy.  One way to ensure that will happen is to use that same standard of measure when looking at others.

So, what standard of measure should we use?  How about the standard that says…

“For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them.” (2 Corinthians 5:19)

No comments: