Friday, July 20, 2012

Nourishing Your Spirit

“Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.”
Psalm 34: 8

What does a steady diet of healthy foods from each of the four food groups provide?
Taken in proper portions and coupled with exercise it should
help to produce a healthy person.
The opposite of that would produce the old adage:
Garbage in = Garbage out
Yet sometimes we nourish our spiritual man on garbage all week long and somehow expect that in a moment of crisis the meager spiritual food we allow it on Sunday will strengthen us like Popeye eating spinach.
The Bible tells me to walk in the Spirit and I will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.
Note that it is not stand in the Spirit, sit in the Spirit or relax in the Spirit.
 Instead it is the continual forward motion of walking.
In other words when I advance in the Spirit of God I am strengthened in a
way that keeps me from gratifying my flesh.
When I continue to live, move and have my being in the things of God that creates in me a greater desire for more of the things of God.
One gallon of gas might take my minivan 25 or 30 miles but it certainly will not keep me going much past that.
One meal a week on God’s word will not sustain me through all of the struggles, temptations and tests that come along the other six days.
This week try something different.
 Spend some time with God Monday through Saturday.
Maybe you can take what God speaks on Sunday and meditate on it the rest of the week.
Perhaps you can allow the Spirit of God to challenge you to apply
Sundays word Tuesday at work or Thursday at home?
See what a difference it will make in your life when you ‘taste and see…’ more than just once a week.

No comments: