Thursday, July 5, 2012

Dependence Day

“It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.”
Galatians 5:1
Yesterday we talked about gratefulness and not taking the blessings of the Lord for granted. Yesterday was also the day we celebrated Independence Day in the United States. While I am truly appreciative for this nation there is a greater freedom we can enjoy. The greatest freedom that can be ours is the freedom from sin that we can receive through faith in the work of Jesus Christ. Do you know Him? Do you have a ‘Freedom from sin day’ that you remember each year?  Do you know the day and place when and where you stopped fighting with God and asked Him to come into your life and wash away your sin? If you can’t mark a specific date on the calendar don’t let that stop you from saying thank you and recognizing how gracious and good the Lord has been to you. You see, for believers Thanksgiving Day is 365 days a year. We don’t celebrate Independence Day but rather ‘Dependence Day’ as we learn to daily trust in God and come to Him for all that we need. Perhaps if you cannot pinpoint a day you made the decision you can make Independence Day your Dependence Day and set the day aside to say: Lord, I thank you for giving me eternal life. I thank you for my daily provision and the very breath I breathe. Without you I am nothing but in you I find joy, peace, love and strength to make each day a day to say thank you and to remember your goodness!

No comments: