Thursday, March 27, 2014

My Oh My!

“For the sake of your name, Lord,
    forgive my iniquity, though it is great.”
Psalm 25:11
 
 

If I asked you to pick out the most significant word in the verse above which would you select?
I would have to choose the word “my”.
“My”?
“Why”?
Because I believe it was one of those words that helped set David apart as that man after God’s own heart.
“Wow”!
“How”?
David recognized his own iniquity and sought God’s forgiveness for it.
So often in our relationships with others we use the word
“you” and “yours” when it ought to be “me” and “mine”.
It started in the Garden of Eden.
“The man said, “The woman you put here with me—
she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”
Was Adam stating the facts correctly?
Yes, he was.
But in so doing he was also failing to recognize that he personally had made a choice to also disobey God.
We are all so good at that.
We minimize our disobedience while emphasizing that same disobedience in others.
We quickly forget that the word “all” as in “For all have sinned…” includes me!
The next time you are tempted to point the finger at someone else call to mind the behavior of both Adam and David and make your choice as to how you choose to respond!

No comments: