Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A Good Example to Follow!

“Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law
    and obey it with all my heart.”
Psalm 119:36
 

 
Solomon had a good example to follow.
Do you remember the choice God gave Solomon and his response?
“At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, “Ask for whatever you want me to give you.” I Kings 3:5
In verse nine of that same chapter Solomon asks:
“…give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong…”
To be sure, there already had to be a smidgeon of wisdom in Solomon to ask for what he did.
He had been raised well by his father King David.
Listen to a previous verse, verse six, as it will shed some light on Solomon’s respect for his earthly and heavenly Father.
““You have shown great kindness to your servant, my father David, because he was faithful to you and righteous and upright in heart. You have continued this great kindness to him and have given him a son to sit on his throne this very day.”
Maybe you are thinking – “Well, that’s all well and good for Solomon, but I have not had that example from my father. He has abandoned my family and I have never known him!”
While that is true of earthly dads, it will never be true of your heavenly Father.
He loves you even beyond your ability to comprehend that love.
And, He stands ready to lavish on you all that you need to fulfill His calling on the earth.
Solomon could have asked for so many different things.
The Word of God testifies to the fact that great riches were added to him as he ruled.
But there was no treasure as great, and there still is not to this day, as the treasure we can have through a relationship with the Father.
Jesus, through the cross, made that possible for each of us.
But He also walked the earth revealing His Father to us.
He gave us such a good example to follow!

No comments: