Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Consider Your Options…

“While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of Simon the Leper, a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table. When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. “Why this waste?” they asked.  “This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor.”
Aware of this, Jesus said to them, “Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”
Matthew 26:6-13
 

 
How much worship is enough?
Is there a point where worship becomes excessive extravagance?
Apparently there is, at least to some.
But before you say – “Who are they, tell me and I’ll set them straight!”
I want you to notice that it says above:
“When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. “Why this waste?” they asked.…”
I know that this account is also recorded in the Gospels of Mark and John.
John’s account singles out Judas as the disciple who objects but when I read all three accounts I must come to the conclusion that Judas’ objections were effective in swaying the feelings of some of the other disciples.
Did I just say ‘disciples’?
Why, yes I did!
The objection to this worship was made, not by the religious leaders but by His very own disciples.
We looked at the truth earlier this week that pride blinds our eyes to the things of God while worship opens them.  
Perhaps the disciples were proud of being the ones who got to ‘hang out’ with Jesus.
Maybe they felt their ‘reputation’ was being tarnished by what they judged as worship that was way too extravagant; way out of line!
At times, they struggled to recognize who Jesus was and the magnitude of the very one who was in their midst.
No worship is too extravagant for Him.
As you gather this Sunday to remember and celebrate the Cross and the Resurrection keep that thought in mind.
And consider your options…
To be the woman with the box or an indignant disciple!
 Lord – make us extravagant worshippers of you!

No comments: