Thursday, March 28, 2013

“…And Peter…”

“Then Jesus told them,
“This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written:
“‘I will strike the shepherd,
    and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’
But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”
Peter replied, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.”
 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.”
But Peter declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.”
And all the other disciples said the same.”
Matthew 26:31-35
 
In yesterday’s blog we learned of how the disciples were grousing about the expensive perfume; that it was not sold with the money being given to the poor.
In today’s passage they are vehemently denying that they will disown Jesus.
Have you ever made a promise to the Lord only to break
that promise within days, if not hours or minutes?
I have.
If we’re honest, we probably all have.
So pointing the finger at Peter, or any of the other disciples, with that self-righteous,
holier-than-thou attitude becomes just a wee bit disingenuous.  
But instead of denying our weakness let’s recognize the wonderful mercy and grace that Jesus extended to Peter and the others.
It’s evident in Jesus’ statement:
“…but after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”
 Then we read these words in Mark 16:7 after the denial of Peter and the resurrection of Jesus:
“But go, tell his disciples and Peter, ‘He is going ahead of you into Galilee.
There you will see him, just as he told you.’”
It was as if Jesus were saying to Peter:
You did not keep your word, but I kept mine.
You did in fact deny me three times but I love you Peter. (1X)
 I forgive you Peter! (2X)
I still have much for you to do Peter! (3X)
Feed my sheep.
So as we come to the celebration of Jesus’ resurrection we can rejoice in the knowledge that His mercy and forgiveness extends to us as well.
Maybe you have broken a few promises to Him and wonder to yourself:
“Can He forgive me?”
The answer is an emphatic YES!
Thank you Lord!

No comments: