Friday, October 17, 2014

Let it Sink In

“The hand of the Lord was on me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the Lord
and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones.
He led me back and forth among them,
and I saw a great many bones on the floor of the valley, bones that were very dry.  
He asked me, “Son of man, can these bones live?”
I said, “Sovereign Lord, you alone know.”
Ezekiel 37:1-3
 
 
Have you ever been in a troubling situation where all you can think about is that problem?
You rehearse over and over in your mind the despair and hopelessness.
You do not see any way out.
You don’t even see the proverbial tunnel with the light at the end of it.
As I read the text above I find one part a bit curious.
The scripture says that the Spirit of the Lord led the prophet Ezekiel back and forth in the valley full of bones.
Why would He do this?
I believe He wanted the gravity of the situation to settle into Ezekiel’s spirit.
These were dry, dead bones.
Dead as a doornail.
Hopeless and helpless.
Ezekiel notes that there were a great many bones and that they were very dry.
The message sank in and…
…it is at this point that the question is asked.
Now that you have seen the hopelessness and helplessness of the situation Son of Man let me ask you this question: Can these bones live?
Wisely the prophet recognizes that only by bringing the Sovereign Lord into it can there be any hope.
Are you facing a hopeless situation that has left you helpless?
Invite the power of the Sovereign Lord in.
Let His life bring new life to the old dried bones that problem has become.
Don’t pin your hopes on man.
Place your hope in the Sovereign Lord!
“…Sovereign Lord, you alone know…”
 

No comments: