Friday, December 30, 2016

The Wonder of it all


Today’s blog post is contributed by David Trotta


Many, LORD my God, are the wonders you have done, the things you planned for us. None can compare with you; were I to speak and tell of your deeds, they would be too many to declare. (Psalm 40:5)

This past weekend my pastor encouraged us not to lose the wonder of God in our midst, especially during this Christmas season when we celebrate the miracle birth of our savior.

But as I left church that day, I couldn’t shake what my pastor said.  After some honest soul searching, I realized that I had lost the wonder of God.

I lost the wonder of Emmanuel (God with us).  This Christmas season, like so many before it, was all about the shopping, the gifts, the time off from work, and parties with my family.  Jesus was more of an after-thought.

Yet it was Jesus who left the glory of heaven to willingly come to earth, walk among men, and lay down His life in the greatest expression of love ever demonstrated.

I lost the wonder of His Word.  I have more bibles than I care to admit, but I often treat the word of God like so many other books on my shelf. 

Yet the word of God has the power to transform the hardest heart.  It is alive and active with the ability to reveal our innermost thoughts and desires (Hebrews 4:12).  It was carefully crafted and protected over thousands of years by God himself for the purpose of teaching us who He is and how to live a life pleasing to Him.

I lost the wonder of God’s spirit dwelling within me.  Yet the very presence of the God dwells within me (I Corinthians 6:19) and lives in union with my spirit.  Wherever I go, the Spirit of God goes with me.  That’s the same God who created the universe and uses earth as His footstool (Isaiah 66:1)

As I began to reflect on these truths and others, the wonder of God grew within me again.  If you too have lost the wonder of God in your life, I encourage you to also meditate on these truths.

May we never lose the wonder of how much God loves us and great lengths He has gone through to have fellowship with us.

No comments: