Monday, March 21, 2016

Are You Listening?


"Come to me with your ears wide open.

Listen, and you will find life.

I will make an everlasting covenant with you.

I will give you all the unfailing love I promised to David.”

Isaiah 55:3 New Living Translation




Prayer works.

Do you agree with that statement?

Most, who call themselves followers of Jesus Christ, would never disagree.

But maybe a more direct question would have a less than enthusiastic answer.

Do your prayers work?

On a personal level do you see your prayers answered?

I don’t mean to say that the answers are always “Yes” but can you say – even when the answer is not yes – that prayer works!

We too often reduce ‘successful’ prayer to meaning nothing more than:

 “I got what I asked for.”

But could it be that sometimes the more important question is:

“Did heaven get what they asked for?”

Do you approach prayer like a child approaches Santa?

I want, I want, I want...

...or is it with an ear tuned to heaven?

Jesus taught us “...your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”

There is no question that the Father’s will is accomplished in heaven.

But what about earth?

One aspect of our prayer is to hear and bring the Father’s will to earth.

It was never meant to be a litany of only my needs.

When you pray – stop and listen.

You may hear the Father’s will revealed for you, for your family and for your church.

Are you reciting or are you listening?




No comments: