Friday, March 25, 2016

Above All Else


Today's blog post is contributed by David Trotta:

When I walked down the aisle over 30 years ago, I pledged my heart to my wife.  Till death do us part, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer…..you know the drill.

To this day, my wife still requires and expects that same commitment.  She will not settle for anything less than ALL my husbandly attention and affections and she deserves nothing less. Can you imagine if I looked my wife in the eyes and said “honey, I love you and Mary, and Jill, and Suzie?”  The aftermath would not be pretty.

In the same way (and even more so), when we said yes to Jesus, we pledged our hearts to Him and He will not settle for anything less.  God repeatedly challenges us in scripture to love him with ALL our heart (Luke 10:27, Deuteronomy 10:12, and Matthew 22:37 to name a few).

Yet our actions and affections often say “God, I love you and [insert here anything that we spend more time thinking about than God].”

How serious is God about not playing second fiddle to anything or anyone?  Listen to what He says in 1 John 2:15-17“Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.”

Or again in Matthew 10:37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.”

Pretty strong words, but yet so necessary for us to hear.  Our creator and Lord deserves nothing less than our all.

God’s love is freely given in abundant measure. It is never based on anything we do or don’t do.  However, to glorify His name on the earth and experience all He has for us, He must have preeminence in our life.

Will you respond to His call today to love Him above all else?  Will you shed lesser things and pursue Him will all your heart? It’s a moment by moment journey, but one so fitting for the King of Kings.


No comments: