Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Worship That Rattles Some Cages




“that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Whoever
does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him.”
John 5:23


Anybody remember the answer Moses got when he asked God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, The God of your fathers has sent me to you’, and they ask me ‘What is His name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”
God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM’. This is what you are to say to the Israelites:
“I AM has sent me to you.
And we read in John 8:58:
“Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”
Curious way that Jesus said that wasn’t it?
He didn’t say: before Abraham was born I was but
He said before Abraham was born, I am!
I wonder why…
I believe part of the answer can be found in who Jesus was speaking with.
He was addressing those who sought to kill Him because He had claimed God as His Father. He went on to state what is quoted above and they picked up stones to kill Him. These religious leaders were a lot of things but they were not ignorant of the law. They may have missed its intent but they got all the ‘jots and tittles’ correct.
Jesus challenged them in a way no one else before had – because He knew the Father’s heart. They had claimed God as their father but Jesus existed with the Father in eternity – long before them, long before Abraham.
They knew the Father had sent Moses. They also knew how Moses was instructed to ‘introduce’ the Father to the Children of Israel. He would call Him ‘I AM’.
Jesus used the same term and it was enough to set them off and pick up stones!
True worshippers recognize Jesus as God and worship Him.
This glorifies the Father but it also rattles the religious.
‘Rattle some cages’ today by worshipping Jesus and glorifying the Father!

No comments: