Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Head or Heart?



“We love because he first loved us.”
I John 4:19


As a military veteran of the United States Navy I was once stationed on board a dock landing ship – the USS Plymouth Rock (LSD-29).
I recall a time crossing the Atlantic Ocean en-route to the North Atlantic and then Europe from our home port of Little Creek, Virginia.
It was a very beautiful day with not a single cloud in the sky but the seas were rough and the ‘rock’ of the ship was very pronounced from port to starboard.
I had a little ‘down time’ and remember laying flat on my back on the flight deck and opening my eyes to all blue sky and then briefly closing them only to open them a moment later to see only blue sea!
I will always remember that experience.
While I just described it to you it will not, it cannot, have the same impact to you as it did to me when I actually experienced it.
The same is true with God’s love.
We could exhaust our language and still not adequately describe His love.
It must be experienced.
I can study His word.
I can memorize pages and pages of it, but the knowledge in my head will never compare to the love felt in my spirit by a loving and personal God.
Have you told Him recently that you love Him?
Have you heard Him lately tell you how much He loves you?
Take the time today, not only to tell Him, but to spend enough time with Him to experience that love.
He loves you and He wants you to know that.
Not just in your head but especially in your heart.

No comments: