Thursday, March 1, 2012

Impressive, but is it Worship?



“…Eli thought she was drunk…”
I Samuel 1:13

An outward appearance or action may not always be a good indication of genuine worship.
Kneeling, bowing down, falling prostrate, lifting my hands heavenward, tears flowing down my face, all of these are found in scripture and can indeed be genuine expressions of worship.
But they are not always, on their own, reliable indicators.
In the same way that my mouth making a declaration of obedience does not necessarily mean it will happen, so too the outward expression of my body, you might say my body language, will not always reflect a heart of worship.
Genuine worship can also sometimes be expressed outwardly in ways that will be misinterpreted by others.
Listen to how a man of God, a prophet of God, misinterpreted someone’s outward appearance:
“In her deep anguish Hannah prayed to the LORD, weeping bitterly.
And she made a vow, saying, “LORD Almighty, if you will only look on your servant’s misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the LORD for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head.” As she kept on praying to the LORD, Eli observed her mouth. Hannah was praying in her heart, and her lips were moving but her voice was not heard. Eli thought she was drunk and said to her, “How long are you going to stay drunk? Put away your wine.” “Not so, my lord,” Hannah replied, “I am a woman who is deeply troubled. I have not been drinking wine or beer; I was pouring out my soul to the LORD. Do not take your servant for a wicked woman; I have been praying here out of my great anguish and grief.” Eli answered, “Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant you what you have asked of him.” I Samuel 1:10-17
So sometimes worship and our encounters with God are genuine but seem inappropriate while at other times they may appear very appropriate but are not genuine.
What can we learn from that?
Much! But today I want to stress two specific points for us to consider.
They are:
We must understand that God is not misled by an outward manifestation of worship that is offered by a disobedient heart.
But also that it is not our place to judge another person favorably or unfavorably concerning their worship based solely on an outward posture or action.
I am praying we all grow in authentic worship
to the only one worthy to receive that worship!

No comments: