Monday, November 14, 2011

A Word We Just Don’t Like!

“During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions
with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death,
and he was heard because of his reverent submission.”
Hebrews 5:7

Sometimes a word will reveal a little bit about its definition when you break it into its component parts. The word “submission” is an example of this.
To better understand its definition think of it as two words: “sub” and “mission”.
What it helps us to see is that submission is to come under (sub) someone else’s mission. To submit to God then is to declare, with your life, your words and your actions: “Your mission is my mission; I submit to your mission and your will!”
I don’t know about you but I sometimes struggle with submission.
I can speak the part.
I can even ‘act’ the part.
It is the ‘doing’ that is too often my ‘un-doing’.
To surrender my will, my desires, my plans and my goals to someone else is never an easy thing. If someone tells you otherwise they are not being honest with you. Jesus never promised an easy life. He said His yoke was easy but never promised life would be. As a matter of fact He challenged us to daily take up our cross, deny ourselves and follow Him.
Let your life come under His mission for you.
Submission may be difficult at times but a life submitted to God guarantees we fulfill His purposes, that is, the purpose for which we were created!

No comments: