Tuesday, November 1, 2011

“Abiding and Walking”

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.”
Galatians 5:22-23

“Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.”
John 15:4

An abiding life is a fruit-bearing life.
We learned this past Sunday that the fruit we bear is evidence of what we worship.
After all true worship is not simply a result of an energized song service at church but the result of living a life pleasing to God.
We are told that if we walk in the Spirit we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.
Why does this matter?
Because in that same chapter – Galatians 5 – the works of the flesh are also listed and contrasted with the Spirit’s fruit. If I want the fruit of the Spirit in my life I will walk in the Spirit.
What does it mean to ‘walk in the Spirit’?
It means I am being led by the Spirit of God and not by the urgings of my old nature – the lusts of my flesh. That continued obedience to being led by the Spirit is indicative of one who remains or abides in the vine and that is a person who will bear much fruit for the Kingdom of God.
Our challenge for today then is twofold:
Are you abiding in the vine?
Are you walking in the Spirit?

No comments: