Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Disqualified?

“Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.”
Psalm 51:1-2

Can my past disqualify my future with God?
The short answer is yes.
The short answer is no.
The short answer is maybe.
How is that for multiple choices?
Before you think I am indecisive let me offer some clarification.
The yes answer applies to the question when we allow the past to disqualify us.
The no answer applies to the question in view of God’s word.
The maybe answers the question when we understand it is ultimately our choice to make.

God will not disqualify me from a future where I am used to bring Him glory in many, many ways. Aside from Jesus, the spotless Lamb of God, name for me a flawless bible character that lived a perfect, sinless life.
Having a tough time? You should be, because you can’t.
Now; name for me a flawed individual that had a sordid past and yet was used by God despite that past.
Is it a little bit easier to come up with some names? It is for me too.
Think about the past of Rahab, Peter and Judas. As we learned this past Sunday each of them had a past – just like you have a past – which if allowed to, can keep you from moving forward with God. Some people in the bible let go of their past while some held on tightly.
David offers a remarkable way of dealing with a past that is less than stellar in Psalm 51. In it you find the ‘P.A.S.T.’ principle we learned about on Sunday.
He Presented his past to God, he Acknowledged it, Surrendered it and then Trusted God with it.
We can argue that David was confronted by the prophet and that is why he dealt with his past. I can’t disagree. But, when confronted he didn’t run. He dealt with it.
As God confronts each of us in this area, deal with your past so it does not paralyze your future.

No comments: