Monday, November 28, 2011

Eyes Front!

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.”
Isaiah 43:18-19

Dwelling on our past – whether as an individual or as a church –
keeps our eyes firmly fixed behind us.
Twice, in the verse above, God admonishes us.
First to say: “Forget the former things…”
but then He adds: “…do not dwell on the past.”
God does not speak idle words. It is important that we take note of all He says, but particularly when He repeats Himself. Too often, we want to do more than just remember the past; we want to memorialize the “good old days” or the “glory days”. Those are just a couple of terms we use to fondly frame our past. Of course, tradition is not always a bad thing, except when it keeps you from moving forward with what God has for you.
If you are carrying your past around with you, whether as a trophy or as a war wound, and it is all that seems relevant in the present, I guarantee you, it will rob the heritage God has for you.
I can change my present and I can impact my future but I must leave behind my past. Jesus told us how fruitless worrying is. Worrying about what has already taken place, or even continued reveling in the triumphs of yesterday, is unfruitful to me and for me.
For the sake of the Kingdom of God advancing in your life and His plans being brought to fruition in you; surrender what has been, to the one who is doing a new thing.
He will make a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.
Do you see the new thing?
Do you perceive it?
In which direction are you looking?

No comments: