Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Don’t Let Others Dig Up Your Past

“as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.”
Psalm 103:12

First game of the season and you blew it.
You messed up.
You failed miserably.
Now, the coach tells you to go sit on the bench.
“You can plan on warming it for the rest of the season”; he says to you.
Worse still, his words are heard by everyone in the stands – all the fans – including family and friends. Pretty sad scenario, isn’t it? It’s enough to make you appreciate deeply the grace and mercy of God. When we blow it in our walk with God, He doesn’t sideline us. Oh sure, there may be a “time-out” called for. But, as we discussed yesterday, my past, with all its’ successes and all its failures need not disqualify me from a future with God. Despite what others may say or do it need not take me out of the race. You see, I face a tough enough time understanding this myself but when those close to me have a habit of reminding me about my past I must make a conscious decision to agree with God and not with man. You will always have naysayers in your life who feel it is their ‘ministry’ to remind you of where you have failed in the past instead of encouraging you about where God wants to take you. Graciously shut down their influence. You may not be able to eliminate them from your life but you can, and should, eliminate the influence they have. As we learned yesterday, God will not disqualify you based on your past. Don’t let others do what He will not do.

No comments: