Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Always Appropriate

 

“Give thanks in all circumstances;

for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

1 Thessalonians 5:18

 

A grateful heart is always appropriate.

How many know that words matter?

 The scripture declares we are to give thanks IN all circumstances and not BECAUSE OF all circumstances!

We sometimes misspeak.

Have you ever done that?

We can confuse others and sometimes even ourselves if or when we say –

“God I’m grateful for this sickness I have.”

That is misspeaking.

That is not appropriate.

What is appropriate in that circumstance? 

Well, let me give you an example:

But before I do, let me ask you a question – Let’s say you left your home today and went to the mall to do some Christmas shopping.

When you return to your car, you are met by a stranger who threatens you and takes your money and all your gifts.

How would you respond?

Would you say – Lord – I am grateful I was robbed today! 

I don’t think so!

Now the example – and this is a true story:

The noted Bible commentator, Matthew Henry, after being robbed by thieves, wrote of his experience in his diary:

“Let me be thankful first, because I was never robbed before;

second, although they took my purse [wallet], they did not take my life;

third, because although they took my all, it was not much;

and fourth because it was I who was robbed, not I who robbed.”

How many of us can honestly say that we would respond in that way?

He never thanked God for being robbed. Rather he thanked God, as we just read, for the fact that he was the one robbed and not the robber. 

Quite a difference, quite a distinction! 

The distinction?

He did not give thanks for the robbery, he gave thanks in spite of it.

He recognized God’s blessings in spite of what had happened to him.

Do you give thanks in all circumstances?

Something worth considering and taking to prayer as the day’s events press in.

No comments: