Friday, November 10, 2017

Dressed in Readiness




Today’s blog post is contributed by David Trotta:

My job requires me to be on-call often, meaning I can get called anytime while I’m out of the office, including nights and weekends.

When I’m on-call, I have to be in ready mode at all times.  If I get a call, I have to spring into action quickly, so I always keep my phone close by.  I take the phone with me wherever I go and I am constantly checking the screen to see if I missed any calls or text messages.

Jesus also encourages us to be ready at all times to respond when He calls.  Luke 12:35-36 says “Be dressed in readiness, and keep your lamps lit. Be like men who are waiting for their master when he returns from the wedding feast, so that they may immediately open the door to him when he comes and knocks.”

Two things we need to do.

First, be in a “ready” mindset so we can quickly respond when Jesus nudges us.  We need to always be aware and listening for His voice.  His knock may be soft, so we have to quiet the noise around us so we can hear.  If the TV in our living room is very loud, we will mostly not hear the knock at the door.  If the noise of this world is allowed to have the biggest voice in our lives, we will most likely not hear Jesus when He is knocking on the door of our heart.

Second, we need to keep our lamps lit.  We need to be on the “lookout” for Jesus in our lives so we don’t miss Him.  Look for His fingerprints in our life.  It could be Him moving in the circumstances of your co-worker’s life or the life of the person in front of you at the grocery store.

Jesus encourages us to be dressed in readiness.  If I’m expecting someone at my door to pick me up, I will make sure I am dressed and ready to go.  It would be very rude if the person I’m expecting comes to the door and I am still in my PJs in bed.

Be on the lookout and dressed at all times so you can jump into action when your master calls.

No comments: