Wednesday, September 20, 2017

What Does the Lord Require of You?


“He has shown you, O man, what is good.

    And what does the Lord require of you?

To act justly and to love mercy

    and to walk humbly with your God.”

Micah 6:8





“I am, and there is none besides me.”

Who would you guess spoke these words?

I can guess who you’d be thinking.

But you would be wrong.

It was not God who said it!

At least not in the case of Isaiah 47 verses 8 and 10.

It was the Nation of Babylon.

In their pride they declare what you would expect God to declare.

They were boasting based on their history of conquests.

But an eternal history is left to God alone.

He is the Great I Am.

He alone can truthfully declare:

I AM and there is none besides me.

We may hear others speak these words or similar ones that challenge who God is and boast of who they are.

Every generation has them and ours is no exception.

But that kind of pride resists God and invites a downfall.

Just ask the Babylonians.

Wait a minute, you can’t!


No comments: