Thursday, September 5, 2013

Step Four of Our Journey – Send Me!

    “In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another:
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty;
    the whole earth is full of his glory.”
At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and
the temple was filled with smoke.
“Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”
Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. With it he touched my mouth and said, “See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for.”
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”
Isaiah 6:1-8
 
We’re ready to go!
Or, are we?
The significance of the question God asks, and Isaiah responds to, is the destination.
No longer is Isaiah on a solitary, self-directed and self-determined journey.
The first step of revelation, the second step of coming face-to-face with the holiness of God and the third step of atonement were all steps of preparation.
Now there is a journey to take that will be directed by God.
A commissioning and a sending by Him for His purposes and not your own.
Are you perfect?
No.
Neither was Isaiah.
Think of this point in the journey like your graduation from high school.
Remember all of those speeches about it being a beginning and not an end?
It’s true here too.
God will continue to work in you as you progress in the journey He sends you on.
Keep in mind though that surrender is not a one-time-only proposition.
As we continue to surrender to the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives, we continue on the journey.
I don’t know how many times and in how many ways Isaiah continued to respond
“…send me” but the Book of Isaiah is evidence that he did.
So step four – the “…Send me…” step of our lives is a step we repeat over and over and over.
Surrender and sent
Surrender and sent
Surrender and sent
The cooperative work between the Holy Spirit and you propels you forward on your journey!

No comments: