Friday, September 20, 2013

In one ear and out the other

Please be blessed by todays' post by David Trotta -


Many times, especially as a youth, my earthly father would ask me to do something, but his words did not produce any change in my behavior or action on my part.  Such times would often prompt my father to say his words “went in one ear and out the other.”  Sound familiar?  I’m confident we have all heard those words at one time or another.

If we were honest, how many times would God have been justified in saying that same thing about instruction he has spoken into our lives?  For me, it is more than I care to admit.  I have read far too much scripture and sat through far too many sermons without allowing the words to penetrate my heart, bring understanding, and produce lasting change in my life.

Hebrews 5: 11-14 says “Concerning him (Jesus) we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing.  For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food.  For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant.  But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.”

The dangerous result of hearing, but not seeking to understand what was said and allowing those words to change us is that it dulls our hearing and stunts our spiritual growth.  The months and years fly by with no real change in our lives.  We continue to struggle with the same sin and give lip service to becoming more like Jesus, but never reflect any more of His character.

As stated in the above verse, maturity is the result of putting into “practice” what we hear.  Make a commitment today to take at least one truth from any scripture reading, personal devotional time, or sermon you hear from now on and apply it to your life until it takes root and produces change.

 

No comments: